Friday, January 20, 2006

Best Wine of the Year (Thus Far) - 2006:1

Greetings, and welcome to a new column here at the EP blog, 'Best Wine of the Year (Thus Far).' What prompted this new column, you might ask? I had THE BEST wine I've had ALL YEAR today at lunch. Here are the details...

2002
Domaine Latour-Giraud
(no, not Louis Latour)
Meursault-Charmes 1er Cru

And it's not just me who feels this way. Three of us at lunch (wine geeks all) agreed that this wine is outrageously good. All agreed that it's the best wine we've had in 2006, and certainly in the top 10 if we're looking at 1/20/05 to 1/20/06.

And, I'm not a Chardonnay fan (I've even admitted to a few folks that this includes the oft lauded white Burgs). But this wine is smokin'!

It's got a killer nose. Yeah, it smells like Chard, but there is this intriguing high toned note in this nose too. And the palate, whoa! Well balanced with a lovely finish. Creamy without being buttery.

Seek this wine out. Buy it if you can find it. If you live in Oregon, too bad for you, as it is not currently imported here. If you live somewhere else, make it your quest to consume this gem. You will pay dearly, I'm sure, but it will be worth it.

4 Comments:

Blogger cc said...

for christ's sake, T, this is the third week of the year. S comments that the "best wine of the year" doesn't mean a damn thing in the third week of January, and suggests you "save this crap" for July. I suggested that maybe he shouldn't have so many margaritas for dinner in the future... and now he's ranting something about voting "no quorum."

maybe I should up the trazadone as well...?

8:59 PM  
Blogger Hungry T said...

CC- Yeah, it's only the 20th (well, 21st now) but you'll note 'Thus Far' posted clearly in the title and body of the post. I guess the idea was to share the best wines I taste with everyone, and this seemed a good way to do it. Also, hopefully, by years end, I will have already created a concise list of my best wines of the year.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Hungry T said...

We're looking into importing it directly. Chances are pretty good that by the time we get a container together, it will be sold out. Look for the wines of Patrick Lesec and Chemins des Vins. This is the lineup that Latour-Giraud will be with. Usually different importers for each state. Good luck!

1:25 PM  
Blogger miss tasty said...

Oohh, I love this column idea. The "Best" ranking makes me trust that whatever's there meets your high standards, and the "thus far" parenthetical leaves it wide open for anything to follow. But what a tease you are, listing something that none of us can get. Phooey.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home